"Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. It is, after all, mostly little, common things that make up our lives."
- Elisabeth Elliot

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Our Countdown to Christmas


Last year, our family started a new Christmas tradition. I got this idea from a clever mom at my monthly MOPS meeting. Each night, beginning on December 1st, the kids unwrap a book (sometimes a dvd)to read (or watch) for that day. We are still adding to our Christmas book collection. I am hoping that the kids treasure these stories for many years to come. So far these are some of our favorites. The Polar Express, The Pine Tree Parable, Sergeant Sniff's Christmas Surprise, and Mortimer's Christmas Manger. The kids are so anxious each night to unwrap the story for the night.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

This is a great idea. I am going to have to try this.

Ann said...

Do you mean that you wrap up your current collection of books individually, to open one each day? Or do you buy that many new ones? I'm guessing the former. :-) Nice idea. And by the way, thank you for the birthday comment!

The Whitmires said...

We do wrap our current collection individually. The kids enjoy unwrapping a book each day. Each year I will try to add a new book. I stretched it with a few books this year and added a couple of coloring books to the mix. Each year the collection gets better!

"CC" said...

The night of the Clemson/GA game, Nick read the book of the night to them, and he read and read and read. He's such a good Daddy to have missed some of the game so that he could read to his babies. Of course, he was reading in the den where the TV is, so all of us missed a little of the game. Ha ha ha ha!

Kristin said...

Really great idea! Super precious picture of Nick reading to the kids, too.